Managing Existing Payment Details
If your client has already provided payment details to you through any of the methods described in the Options for Adding New Payment Details to a Client Record article, you have the ability to manage those details. Actions you can take when managing existing payment details include:
- Deleting a payment from the client record,
- Switching a payment method on a proposal, or
- Switching off payments on a specific proposal by selecting "arrange payment manually".
Below are three areas of the app where you can manage existing payment details, depending on what you want to do.
1. Managing Payment Details on the Client Page
Payment details can be managed in the Client Page. Go to Clients, choose the client you want to update, then click on Payments. The Payment Details interface should be on the right-hand side. From here you can:
- Delete an existing payment method or
- Add a new payment method to the client record (Note: adding a new payment method in the client record will not automatically associate this with any active proposals. See Managing Payment Details On A Proposal, below)
Can you edit an existing payment detail on file?
Unfortunately, you cannot edit an existing payment method, even if the expiry date is the only detail that has changed (for example). The details are stored securely for compliance purposes, so editing is not possible.
Note: To remove an expired payment detail (or one your client no longer wishes to use), you'll have to remove the details from any proposals that they are assigned to, including completed proposals. The easiest way to do this is to select another payment method, or choose "arrange payment manually" on proposals that uses the payment detail you wish delete first before deleting it.
Once you've received the new details, you can add them back to your proposals that you wish to collect payments on.
2. Managing Payment Details on a Proposal
Payment details can be managed on the proposal level. When viewing a proposal, go to the Invoices & Payments tab. Under Payment Details on the right hand side, click on Manage Payments. The Payment Details interface should pop up on the right-hand side.
You can use the same functionalities here, as well as select which payment detail will be used for this proposal. Just click on the radio button beside the payment detail you wish to use. The selected payment detail is highlighted in green.
Note: Changing a proposal's selected payment method won't change the payment method of your client's other proposals if there are any.
3. Managing Existing Payment Details on a New Proposal Acceptance Page (managed by your client)
If your client has previously provided you with payment details and they are available in PI, your client can manage their payment details themselves on the next proposal they receive (note: they can also manage existing client details using the Client Portal link explained above). When they click on step 3 of the proposal process, they'll be able to:
- Enter a new payment method,
- Select an existing payment method to apply to this proposal
- Delete a payment method they no longer want you to use.
- If payment is not required in the proposal, there would be an option to choose Arrange payment manually if your client decides to not have payments in the proposal.
Bonus: For more help with using Payments in a proposal click here.