What do Billing Rules do?
Billing Rules define WHEN services in a service group will be billed.
A billing rule is made up of:
- A billing frequency (recurring or one time)*
- A billing start date (a specific or relative date)
*Note: If recurring billing is selected, you'll need to define how often it recurs and any potential end to the recurrence.
Multiple services can be housed under a single billing rule and all of the services will follow that rule.
Also, a single proposal can have as many billing rules as you need - e.g. quarterly, monthly, and annual billings altogether on one proposal.
Billing Rule Presets
When creating a proposal, there are some presets that you can select to pre-populate a billing rule.
This is an easy way to create a new service group where you can add one or more services to.
Note: All services within the same service group will follow the associated Billing Rule
For instance both services in this service group will be billed every quarter from 29th September 2020 (this is the summary of the billing rule):
You can edit the configuration of a billing rule that defines a service group at any time with the Edit Billing Rules button. When editing a billing rule, you will be presented with settings that you can customize.
Let's take a look at the different options.
If you want to create a One Time billing rule, all the services under that service group will be only billed once.
Use this for upfront or on completion billing where all fees will be charged one time for that service.
You can then choose when this one time fee is billed:
- On Acceptance of the proposal - use this to bill immediately when the client accepts a proposal
- A Period After Acceptance (# weeks or months) - use this to delay the bill after acceptance of the proposal for a relative time period
- On a Specific Date - use this if you have a precise or estimated date when this will be billed
If you want to create a Recurring billing rule, all services will be billed on a recurring basis depending on how you configure the billing rule.
You can choose how frequently the billing will occur by configuring the Recurring Period (# weeks or months).
Start to Billing
You can choose when to Start billing a recurring fee:
- On Acceptance of the proposal - use this to start bill immediately when the client accepts a proposal
- A Period After Acceptance (# weeks or months) - use this to delay the start of billing for a relative time period after acceptance of the proposal
- On a Specific Date - use this if you have a precise date to start billing for this
End to Billing
You can choose when to End billing for a recurring fee:
- Selecting Indefinitely means the fee will continue until it is ended or changes
- Selecting Set Period will end billing after a number of billing periods. If selecting this option, check the date range shown aligns with your expectations.
Once you have confirmed the Billing Rule, you can start adding services to the service group and begin building out your proposal.
Please note that Billing Rules do not take into consideration the Default Recurring Invoice Day setting (found in Settings → General tab). This setting is for Classic Proposals only and do not apply to New Proposals. They will follow the Billing Rule.