Setting up PAD payments
First check you have the payments feature enabled on your account under Settings → Payment Gateway (you will need to have administrator access).
Setting up PAD payments for proposals is simple:
For new or draft proposals
In the "Payments" tab of a proposal, you will now see a toggle to "Allow Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) Payments" as an option in the payments tab of that proposal. Turn on the toggle and your clients will be able to enter their bank details on this proposal. You can also set PAD payments as your default under Settings → Payment Gateway.
For proposals awaiting acceptance
Go to the proposal and click on "Manage Payments" (to the left) - enable PAD payments and click save.
To collect payment details from a client
If you don't yet have bank details on record, but a client has accepted a proposal, you can securely collect details from a client using the client payment portal (option 3 in this article).
Signing up clients for PAD payments
When selecting to pay via a bank account, a client will need to:
- Enter their bank account details
- Select if this is a personal or business account and also
- Enter a contact email address (Note: if your proposal was sent to a client who has an email address, this will be pre-populated)
Be sure Payment details are saved by clicking Save Bank Account Details before continuing.
What if my client does not know their bank details?
If your client does not know the details of their bank transit number, institution number or account number, instructions on how to find these on a cheque are given by clicking on "Where can I find these?" which will show the below pop-up.
Once a client has signed up for PAD payments with you, they will be sent an email confirming this arrangement at the email address entered. See below for an example.
PAD payment pricing
Pricing for PAD payment collections is 1% + 40 c with a $4 cap for each payment.
PAD payment clearing times
After a client enters their payment details and a payment collection commences, it takes 7 business days to reach your account.
The timeline is as follows:
- Day 0 ("transfer day", T) - a charge is scheduled to collect
- T + 4 - The charge is confirmed to be successful (or is rejected)
- T + 5 - Transfer to your account commences
- T + 6 - Transfer to your account is completed (appears in your bank account)
Please note, all days are business days and do not include weekends.
Please note: If your first PAD payment collection is within 3 days of the client first entering their payment details, it will take up to 3 business days to confirm the PAD mandate before a charge can be made. This will only impact the first payment made on a newly entered bank account.
PAD client confirmation email
After entering payment details, a client will be provided with a confirmation of their PAD agreement by email.
This email cannot be customised and its contents are regulated by the Automated Clearing Settlement System (ACSS) provided by Payments Canada.
How do I transition my existing clients to PAD?
Please note: This method refers to Classic Proposals. We are currently unable to update payment methods on New Proposals. This feature is currently under development - stay tuned for updates!
- Click into the specific client → Invoices and payments tab
- Copy the Client Accessible Payment Details form link and send this to your client and ask them to fill out their Pre-Authorized Debit details.
When they submit their details, you will receive a notification email!
- Once you receive their PAD details, click into your client's proposal → Manage Payments → Select the new PAD details → Save
Here's a quick 4 minute video to give you a visual overview!